Friday, 28 June 2013

Sunshine Behind the Storm #1: Testimony by Megan and Abby

Hello everyone! 

I am really excited to present to you the first guest post in the blog series Sunshine Behind the Storm! Megan and Abby are two sister bloggers from the US whose posts have really inspired me to serve Christ more! You should check out their blogs More Than Conquerors and Divine Design! :) Thank you so much Megan and Abby for being willing to share your amazing testimony with us. I hope it challenges and encourages you to see the Lord's hands in great trials as much as it did for me.


Hi, I'm Abby, writing on behalf of both myself and Megan, my sister. It's really amazing that Violet asked us to do a guest post- it's a new experience! Much of what I'm going to say, Megan said in her post here--

http://his-divine-design.blogspot.com/2012/07/testimony-by-megan.html

As long as both of us have been alive, our Dad has been a pastor; and as PKs we knew "everything" about God and the Bible (or so we thought). Nothing really ever changed for us; that is, we always knew what to expect day to day, every week, month by month... for about nine years it was this way. Oh, sure, we moved three times within that timeframe, but we were always in the same city; just a new neighborhood. Our Grandpa on our Mom's side died of heart disease, then my Dad's mom also passed away; but we were unfortunately not very close to either of them. We hardly even noticed when Mom began getting really sick. Her immune system had been a mess since her childhood, and we just dismissed the whole thing. Nothing ever rocked our worlds.

On top of that, we were both so proud of ourselves. We were homeschooled, and were therefore "better" than all those other kids who went to public or private school. Oh my, how self-centered we were. Proverbs 16:18 says, "Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling." (NASV) God hates pride so much. And so He sent us some tribulation.

I know He had more reasons than this, but I think one of the purposes for doing what He did was to get our attention. To wake us up and get us to realize that the world didn't revolve around us. No, far from it.

It was a normal summer day that Dad and Mom came back from a doctor's visit. They sat us all down in the living room and told us that Mom had cancer. I was only 15 and Megan 13, and neither of us really understood; but we knew some other people who had cancer and became very ill, and even died many times. I suppose those memories caused us both to cry at that time. Finally, we were thinking of someone other than ourselves. I remember specifically that day listening to the song "Blue Skies" by the group Point of Grace; in it, they sing about God being our hope, even when trials come on us. I prayed a lot more after that day than I ever had in my young life.


In April of my sophomore year, we moved. After ten long years of the same friends, the same town, the same way of life, we moved. From Kindergarten to 10th grade, I lived in that town, and now we were leaving. But we weren't bitter-- no, quite the contrary! Our only friends were the kids in our youth group, and they were such an immature group. Trying to grow in Christ in that group was such an incredible challenge, and I think God knew what He was doing when He moved us. Now we live about 1500 miles away, in a new climate, with new people, in a new way of life. We've grown to love our new town so much. It was so exciting to be in a new place. Megan was a little more hesitant about the move, but it didn't take her long to change her mind. The weather was better for Mom, and she got stronger; the doctor even stopped her chemotherapy for a while. Everything was perfect about our new lives.

October, 2011. Dad and Mom returned from a doctors visit with horrifying news: the doctor predicted that Mom had 3 months left, at best. Just when things were looking great, our perfect world was shattered.

It was terrible; but Mom through all of this was the strongest. Everyone with the type of cancer our Mom had- which was ovarian cancer- cannot ever be fully cured from it, and she knew that; yet, she gave her doctor permission to try all these different treatments on her. Her reason? All the signs pointed to her cancer being hereditary, and she said if a cure could be found while testing her, she might have saved her three daughters' lives, not to mention her nieces and any other women with this cancer. It was a very selfless attitude, and we learned more about our Mom in those three months that the past fifteen plus years.

December 30th, Mom's mother passed away. It's a long story, but she refused to admit that she had the same cancer as our Mom. Eight days later, Mom also passed away.

It was a Friday, and we were looking forward to the weekend. I was in Spanish class, the second-to-last class in the school day. I was told that my Dad had called that we need to go home. I admit that I knew then, though I didn't want to believe it. I met with Megan and Paul in the back of the school, and I could see in their eyes that they shared my fear with me. Paul's coach drove us the 8 miles to our house- and somehow, it seemed much longer than 8 miles. Seeing the sheriff's car in our driveway, our fears were confirmed. Upon walking into the house, we were each greeted by Dad's tight hug. He was crying, and it didn't take much for us to join. Mom had already arranged for her body to be taken to the state university for further research, so we didn't have a normal funeral and burial for her. We had a wonderful memorial service for her, though; and in that, we learned more about our Mom that we knew about her in life.

Even at this, we weren't bitter. We knew God had a plan, and nothing we could do would bring her back to us. And now, a-year-and-a-half later, we've learned more about her than we ever knew before. And God has not failed to bless us through all of this. He used our family to show Himself, and used Mom's death to bless us. I know it sounds strange, but He truly did. I can't say that I understand it myself, but I thank God for His blessing.

What would Megan and I be if Mom had lived? I don't know. I do know that if she'd never had cancer, we would have been selfish, vain creatures even to this day. A song that we have both found much comfort in is Blessings by Laura Story. I think it perfectly describes our story. "What if Your blessings come through raindrops?" Please take some time to listen to it, and we pray that it touches you. (I cry every time I hear it!)



Thank you, Violet, for giving us this opportunity to use the testimony God has given us for His glory.

Thank you both so much for sharing your amazing testimony with us! Wow - it is amazing the way God works, and how He helps us through the trials, no matter how great they are! I hardly know how I would cope if He had called me to endure what you had to. God bless you both and may He be with you always!

3 comments:

  1. Such an encouraging and thought-provoking post! Thank you girls for sharing that with us all!
    God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife has been suffering from thyroid cancer which was confirmed to be stage four, the doctor told me there was little he could do since she wasn’t responding to treatment but a friend of mine came to our rescue by ordering this hemp oil from RICK which he said has been helping some patient fight against cancer of various types so we decided to give it a chance, so far my wife is improving perfectly very well and presently she can walk around the house all by herself. I felt its necessary i let others who are suffering from this acute disease that once you have a good hemp oil it can really give one a sound second chance of living. by chance if you happen to be in need of this hemp oil you can contact RICK who supplied I and my wife with this email: ricksimpsonhempfoundation@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr Noris Rosario,
    I'm really sad to hear about your wife! :( I'll be praying for you both as the Lord brings you through this difficult time.
    God bless!
    From,
    Violet

    ReplyDelete