Friday, 23 August 2013

Reminiscing...

The other night, I went through my old journal of the last three years and read and read until I got right up until the present time. It was a real eye-opener and if you don't already keep a journal or a diary, I strongly recommend that you do. As I read through the different struggles of the past, I couldn't help but be amazed at the way the Lord has been working in each and every circumstance of my life, and is changing me constantly to be more like Him. Oh, how much sin remains, and yet how He has been changing me! Thank you heavenly Father! I cannot help but see how the trials have drawn me so much closer to Him, and so my prayer is that you may see that He is in control of all events in your life for your good, whether or not it seems that way.

Now, this is fairly personal, but I read some entries that I wrote on particularly hard days that serve now as a reminder to me that God is so, so faithful, and so I thought I'd share one for any of you who may be going through a trial right now.
Some days you just want to forget. Today was one such day, but I have already seen the Lord working through it, conforming me more to His will. Thank you heavenly Father. I know it's not pleasant but in the future I will look back on this day and be able to thank and praise you for it...Thank you for filling my heart and mind with your Word today, Father! In your precious name, amen.
I share this with you because this entry served as a powerful reminder to me of how God can use our hardest days to draw us closer to Him in a way that we simply can't appreciate on a day when everything seems well with the world. I'm sure the days that I have felt such a depth of fellowship with Him are on the days when I've been struggling through a trial of one kind or another. Because on days like that, you have nothing and no-one else to cling to, except Him and Him alone. And it's amazing how He will bring to your mind verses to encourage you through the day. The day I wrote that entry, I had verses coming out my ears! Every time I felt tempted to fall into despair, another verse would come to mind, and I can't tell you how much that helped me! Maybe what we need to do is to start seeing trials as "blessings in disguise" (Laura Story) and thank the Lord for giving us them in order to draw us closer to Himself. It is such a challenge! May God in His grace help me and you to do this!

Another thing that happened recently is I visited a friend in hospital last week. It was a powerful reminder of the fact that suffering, death, sickness and so on seems so unnatural to us. All of us seem to have an awareness that it ought not to exist ~ and yet it does! I'm rather tired right now, and I feel that this thought deserves a blog post all of it's own, so I might leave that for you to ponder.

God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment