Saturday, 8 November 2014

Have Thine Own Way, Lord

Today I was thinking a lot about the whole concept of "let go and let God". Funnily enough, I was thinking about it all week and then it popped up again in an email from a friend! :) While I might not agree with all the theological implications of this statement, I think there is a lot of truth to it. 


I don't know about you, but I find it so easy to constantly take matters into my own hands, rather than prayerfully bringing requests to the Lord in prayer and earnestly searching His word for wisdom. Quite frankly, sometimes there are idols in my life that I don't really want to get rid of or ways I want my day to turn out and when it doesn't I try desperately to take matters into my own hands and follow my own selfish inclinations, ignoring the fact that the Lord may be using my circumstances to teach me more about Him and make me more like Him. Sometimes your day may not go how you wish it to, and seem like a series of failed plans or mishaps, but when that is the case do you grumble and complain (as I tend to!) or prayerfully look to the Lord to teach you through it? He can use every single day to make us more like Him and bring Him glory - even the bad ones!

Today I was very much feeling angry and upset that my day wasn't going how I'd planned, when I was reminded of this hymn (no doubt at the prompting of the Holy Spirit!) Amidst my tears of frustration I was able to sing the first verse quietly to myself as a way of both praying to the Father and praising Him, and afterwards I felt so much more relaxed and able to trust Him with my day. It's my prayer that as you listen to the beautiful words of this hymn, you too will be able to entrust your day and your circumstances to the Lord's tender loving care. :) I'm praying for you!

Have Thine Own Way, Lord


Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.


Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.


Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.


Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit ’till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me.


God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment